Gareth Bale’s representatives said on Wednesday they had held talks with Cardiff over a possible move to the Championship club after the Wales captain left Real Madrid.
Bale has been heavily linked with a free transfer to his hometown team after the end of his turbulent nine-year tenure at Madrid.
Stream 50+ sports live and on-demand with Kayo. New to Kayo? Try it now for 14 days for free >
The 32-year-old striker, once the world’s most expensive player, is expected to weigh the pros and cons of a move to the Bluebirds before playing for Wales at the World Cup in Qatar in November.
His representatives confirmed to BBC Sport Wales they are in negotiations with Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman.
Bale, a five-time Champions League winner, has several options on the table, with MLS sides, his former club Tottenham and Newcastle all coming up as potential targets.
But he fueled speculation he might prefer Cardiff by saying the level of football he plays ahead of the World Cup will not be a deciding factor.
Liverpool concede $84m double whammy as star attacking duo head for exit door
Eight medical workers face up to 25 years in prison over the football legend’s tragic death
Blues $170M blunder exposed as Star Seals seals humiliating $12M return
Speaking to Wales on international duty last week, Bale said: “I don’t really know if the standard makes too much of a difference. A soccer game is a soccer game.
“I need time to think about what’s the best move for me, my family and my kids and hopefully we’ll sort that out over the summer. I have options.”
Bale, who has family in Cardiff, was earning around A$1million a week at Real and would have to take a significant pay cut to sign for Steve Morison’s side.
But his agent Jonathan Barnett said in a recent interview that “what Gareth does next isn’t about money.”
The sight of Bale at the Cardiff training ground on Wednesday prompted some fans to claim he was close to joining the Bluebirds.
But Cardiff shares facilities with the Football Association of Wales medical staff and it is understood Bale was there to do physio work.
RED DEVILS ARE REJECTED WHILE STAR MIDFIELDER LOOKS ELSEWHERE
New Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has suffered a major blow in the search for his first signing.
The guard reports that midfielder Christian Eriksen has rejected a Red Devils approach as the Dane favors a return to Brentford or Tottenham Hotspur.
Eriksen spent the back half of the 2021/22 Premier League season with the Bees in his first competitive action after suffering cardiac arrest during Denmark’s game against Finland at Euro 2020.
The 30-year-old was also at Spurs for seven years, making over 220 appearances for the London club.
ANGE EYES FOURTH SIGNATURE DURING SQUAD COMPETITION HEATED
With former loanees Daizen Maeda and Cameron Carter-Vickers in goal, as well as the fresh face of goalkeeper Benjamin Siegrist, Celtic boss Ange Postecoglou looks set to make his fourth signing ahead of the 2022/23 season.
That daily recordclaims Argentine youngster Alexandro Bernabei will be the next man to come to Parkhead for a fee close to $7 million.
The 21-year-old left-back will sign a five-year deal with the Hoops as Postecoglou looks to add some depth to his defence, although the Argentina youth international likes to go forward.
Bernabei will compete with Greg Taylor for the role at left-back as Boli Bolingoli is set to leave and Liam Scales joins Aberdeen on loan.