close

Today’s sports news: what you need to know

Latest- PGA Tour suspends LIV Golf entrants, ATP splits wins, South Africa triumphs over India in T20, safety to be the focus of Premier League games

The PGA Tour on Thursday suspended Phil Mickelson, Dustin Johnson and 15 other participants in the inaugural LIV Golf event, a move the rival series called “vindictive” and “troubling.”

A two-page memo from PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan said the suspended players are no longer eligible to compete in all PGA Tour events, the Presidents Cup and all PGA Tour-sanctioned tours, including the Korn Ferry Tour, PGA Tour Champions, PGA Tour Canada and PGA Tour Latinoamerica.

Phil MICKLESON (USA) during round four of the 2021 US PGA Championship.Ocean Course, Charleston, South Carolina, USA.

Phil Mickelson is one of 17 players suspended from the PGA Tour so far
Photo: Matthew Harris

“(The players) have not received the required conflicting event and media rights releases – or have not requested releases at all – and their participation in the Saudi Golf League/LIV Golf event violates our tournament regulations,” the note said. “The same fate applies to any other player who participates in future Saudi Golf League events in violation of our regulations.”

The 48-player LIV Golf event, which began Thursday at the Centurion Club outside London, conflicts with the PGA Tour’s RBC Canadian Open.

Besides Mickelson and Johnson, the other players suspended from the PGA Tour are Sergio Garcia, Talor Gooch, Branden Grace, Matt Jones, Martin Kaymer, Graeme McDowell, Kevin Na, Andy Ogletree, Louis Oosthuizen, Turk Pettit, Ian Poulter, Charl Schwarzel, Hudson Swafford, Peter Uihlein, and Lee Westwood.

Garcia, Grace, Johnson, Kaymer, McDowell, Na, Ooosthuizen, Pettit, Schwarzel and Westwood have notified the PGA Tour that they have canceled their membership. These players will be removed from the FedExCup points list when the official stats are released on Sunday night.

In response to the memo, LIV Golf released an official statement on social media.

“Today’s announcement by the PGA Tour is vindictive and deepens the rift between the Tour and its members.

It is disturbing that the Tour, an organization dedicated to creating opportunities for golfers to play the game, is the organization preventing golfers from playing,” the statement said.

“This is certainly not the last word on the subject. The era of free decision-making begins as we are proud to have a full field of players joining us in London and beyond.”

Field-level media

Tennis players and tournaments share profits, as approved by the ATP strategic plan

Players and tournaments will share winnings 50-50 on the men’s ATP Tour from 2023, while total prize money will rise thanks to an agreed expansion of top-tier tournaments, the men’s circuit’s global governing body announced on Thursday.

The ATP said its strategic plan for sweeping reform had been given the green light, a move likely to end the bitter scramble for prize money and profit-sharing in men’s tennis.

Russian tennis player Daniil Medvedev at the Australian Open.

Daniel Medvedev
Photo: PHOTO SPORTS

This first phase of ATP’s OneVision plan – aimed primarily at increasing media and television rights revenues – has been approved by the board after more than two years of deliberations.

“Getting everyone’s minds into the future was the hardest part,” ATP chairman Andrea Gaudenzi told Reuters.

“But I think overall we’ve been very persistent, we’ve provided evidence, a lot of data, a lot of information, a lot of material and ultimately we convinced, I wouldn’t say all, but the majority.”

A lack of transparency has long been a source of friction between tournaments and players, and the issue flared up again when the coronavirus pandemic forced prize money cuts.

But starting next year, players will have access to the audited annual accounts of the events, the 50-50 profit-sharing formula will be introduced and there will be increased prize money and bonus pools due to the expansion of the ATP 1000 events.

Reuters

South Africans Miller and Van der Dussen flash India

David Miller and Rassie van der Dussen completed a blistering half-century in Thursday’s inaugural Twenty20 International to lead South Africa to a thrilling seven-wicket win over India.

In the hunt for 212 for victory, South Africa’s top order wobbled, but Miller and Van der Dussen plundered 131 runs from around 10 overs in an uninterrupted fourth wicket stand to secure victory with five balls remaining.

Rassie van der Dussen returns during the 2019 Cricket World Cup match between Australia and South Africa on July 6, 2019 at Old Trafford, Manchester.  Photo copyright: Graham Morris / www.photosport.nz

Rassie van der Dussen
Photo: Graham Morris

Van der Dussen didn’t make 75 from 46 balls, including five sixes.

Miller’s unbeaten 64 from 31 balls also included five sixes as South Africa staged its greatest successful chase in T20 cricket.

The loss ended India’s 12-match winning streak in the format.

The second game of the five-match series takes place in Cuttack on Sunday.

Reuters

Premier League introduce enhanced security measures to control crowds

The Premier League will introduce heightened security measures to prevent crowd misconduct before the start of next season, it said on Thursday, with clubs unanimously agreeing that visiting teams will provide additional stewards for away games.

Aston Villa’s Sweden goalkeeper Robin Olsen was attacked as Manchester City fans celebrated their Premier League title win by invading the pitch at Etihad Stadium last month.

December 4, 2021;  City of London Stadium, London, England;  Premier League Football, West Ham v Chelsea;  West Ham United Manager David Moyes as his team go 2-1 down

David Moyes, West Ham United manager
Photo: Shaun Brooks

Everton fans took to the pitch at Goodison Park after Dominic Calvert-Lewin’s late winner and the final whistle of their 3-2 win over Crystal Palace to secure their place in the top flight.

Palace manager Patrick Vieira was also involved in an altercation with a fan as he approached the visitors’ dressing room after the final whistle, prompting the English Football Association to launch an investigation.

The league said it also hopes to address the issue of missiles and pyrotechnics that disrupted last season’s games.

“Fans need to be reminded that it is illegal to enter the field of play at any time… this area is clearly dedicated to football and under no circumstances should players, managers, match officials or staff fear for their safety – just as fans should remain protected stands.”

West Ham United manager David Moyes said on-pitch invasions had been a “problem”, while Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta added invaders posed a danger to players and staff.

The league said that as a first step, the clubs had unanimously agreed that visiting clubs must provide stewards for away games in order to improve safety for fans.

It added that it would work with the game’s stakeholders to further address the issue.

Reuters

Leave a Comment