Nevada County Included in Cal OES State Funding Through Prepare California ‘Match’ Program – YubaNet

Sacramento – As part of the state’s ongoing efforts to increase community resilience in areas of the state most prone to natural disasters, the California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES) announced today the first set of Prepare California ‘Match’ program winners today. amounting to over $15 million in public funding.

“This innovative and proactive funding opportunity opens the door for the most vulnerable and at-risk communities to receive federal funds intended to improve local infrastructure,” said Ryan Buras, deputy director of recovery operations for Cal OES. “These projects will save lives and property, at no cost to the community.”

For this first round of grants, Cal OES awarded more than $15 million in state funding to 15 applicants through the “Match” portion of the Prepare California program, which awards a total of $85 million in state funding to eligible communities and projects applying for federal Hazard Mitigation Assistance Grants.

Prepare California ‘Match’ is unlocking state funding to cover the required local portion (non-federal cost sharing) of these grants which are intended to support communities deemed socially vulnerable with high risk. Under the “Match” program, the federal government covers 90% of the cost of the project, with the state providing the remaining 10% of the funding.

Prepare California’s first set of “Match” funding winners range from cities and counties to tribal governments located throughout the state.

Examples of projects receiving “Match” funding from Prepare California:

  • Hoopa Valley Tribe, Humboldt County (Wildfire): Address wildfire protection with a two-pronged approach: create defensible space around 890 tribal home plots and reduce hazardous fuels on approximately 573 additional acres.
  • Dinuba Town, Tulare County (flooding): Modifying the city’s existing stormwater system infrastructure to increase groundwater retention, transport and infiltration capacity using nature-based solutions.
  • Nevada County (Wildfire): Reducing hazardous fuels on approximately 800 acres of private property located in Yuba’s South Rim.
  • East Valley Water District, San Bernardino County (earthquake): Perform seismic upgrades to seven potable water reservoirs in the same pressure zone representing nearly half of the district’s potable water.
  • Lassen Municipal Utility District, Lassen County (Wildfire): Reduce fire damage to critical infrastructure and minimize the need for public safety power outages by clearing an additional 20 feet of vegetation under two transmission lines that span a combined distance of 48 miles on either side of the river. highway 36 between Susanville and Westwood. Fire-damaged utility poles will also be replaced with flame-resistant/non-combustible steel poles.
  • Town of Watsonville, Santa Cruz (flood, earthquake, heat): Increase the resilience of critical water treatment infrastructure against floods and earthquakes by moving critical parts of the facility out of the flood zone and building the facility to modern seismic building codes. Install a green roof over the new facility to absorb rainfall and protect the facility from heat events.

The state identified these disaster-vulnerable communities by prioritizing California census tracts based on their estimated hazard exposure and social vulnerability. Risk exposure is based on the state’s risk mitigation plan, which includes an analysis of multiple data sets related to the frequencies of wildfires, floods, earthquakes, drought, and heat waves. Social vulnerability is based on the CDC’s Social Vulnerability Index.

For more information on the Prepare California ‘Match’ program, click here.

Cal OES will announce additional winners for California’s prep game program in the coming months. Additionally, Cal OES is currently offering matching funds to eligible communities applying for FEMA’s 2022 Building Resilient Communities and Infrastructure (BRIC) and Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) grants.

Leave a Comment