For immediate release: Wednesday, November 16, 2022
Contact: [email protected]
NARAL Pro-Choice America responds to race result for California’s 27th congressional district
washington d.c. — Today, NARAL-endorsed candidate Christy Smith lost her bid to represent California’s 27th congressional district in the United States House of Representatives.
President of NARAL Pro-Choice America Mini Timmaraju issued the following statement in response:
“We couldn’t be more proud to have supported Christy Smith in this race. While we are disappointed with the outcome of this election, NARAL Pro-Choice America, NARAL Pro-Choice California and our 371,000 members across California were proud to support Smith and are grateful for his commitment to protecting reproductive freedom for all Californians. We will fight to hold Rep. Mike Garcia accountable no matter what comes next.
Shannon Olivieri Hovis, Director of NARAL Pro-Choice California said:
“We commend Christy Smith for standing up for reproductive freedom and standing her ground against anti-choice Rep. Mike Garcia. While we are disappointed with the outcome of this election, NARAL Pro-Choice California and our 371,000 members at across our state are committed to continuing the fight against Rep. Garcia’s relentless attempts to dismantle our reproductive freedom.
In June, the United States Supreme Court overturned Roe vs. Wade in its decision in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization– ending the constitutional right to abortion and opening the door for hardline state legislators to enact outright abortion bans. The decision is already having a devastating impact across the country as 14 states enforce extreme or complete abortion bans. Those most affected by these bans and restrictions are those who already face barriers to accessing abortion care, including women; Black, Latina/x, Asian American, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander, and Indigenous; those who work to make ends meet; the LGBTQ+ community; immigrants; young people; those who live in rural communities; people with disabilities and other historically oppressed communities.
NARAL endorsed Smith as part of its larger midterm platform to elect candidates from the top down during this critical moment in the fight for reproductive freedom. The program focuses on in-depth investments in telephone banking, door-to-door, youth organizing and canvassing, as well as a robust communications campaign to support endorsed candidates and ballot initiatives in California, Georgia, Arizona, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Nevada. Learn more about NARAL Approved Candidates here.
NARAL’s work in California includes:
- Knocked on more than 3,200 doors, made more than 32,000 calls, hosted 65 candidate canvasses and organized events, and sent nearly 247,000 text messages in support of our Reproductive Freedom Champions and the Proposition 1 ballot initiative;
- Endorse 32 Breeding Freedom Leaders running in open and challenger races and 54 champions for re-election;
- Serve on the campaign committee for Yes on Prop 1 and work alongside partners ensure that Californians vote to enshrine the right to abortion and birth control in the state constitution; and
- Deployment of NARAL Pro-Choice America President Mini Timmaraju to battle side-by-side with champions and get the vote in key races.
Key elements of our midterm campaign include:
- Harness the full power of our 4 million members to mobilize their communities through traditional organizing tactics. In total, we knocked on over 330,000 doors, made nearly 707,000 calls, sent over 868,000 text messages and filled over 4,860 volunteer shifts.
- Continue to expand the impact of our cutting-edge research on voter sentiment on abortion, including our pioneering freedom-focused messaging, by train candidates, volunteers and activists to speak to their communities in a way that we know aligns with their values and gets them to act on their beliefs.
- Deployment of a pilot program in Michigan with 14 organizers working on seven four-year college campuses and more than 20 community college campuses to register voters and activate more than 721 volunteers.
- Endorsement of candidates in more than 200 races nationwide for federal and state offices.
- NARAL, Planned Parenthood Action Fund and EMILY’s List announcement a partnership in May to collectively spend the historic sum of $150 million midterms of 2022 to elect champions for reproductive freedom across the country.
For more than 50 years, NARAL Pro-Choice America has fought to protect and advance reproductive freedom at the federal and state levels – including access to abortion care, birth control, pregnancy and post-natal care. partum and paid family leave – for all body. NARAL is powered by its 4 million members from every state and congressional district in the country, representing the 8 out of 10 Americans who support legal abortion.