Bruno Fernandes has admitted he doesn’t know what will happen to Cristiano Ronaldo’s future after the soccer megastar pulled out of Manchester United’s pre-season tour.
Less than a year after returning to Old Trafford, Ronaldo has reportedly asked to leave after the club failed to qualify for the Champions League.
But the Portugal international doesn’t seem to have a choice of clubs either, as none of the big European clubs are said to be chasing his signature at the moment.
Meanwhile, Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta is on the verge of signing another player from his former club Manchester City.
Catch up on all the transfer whispers doing the rounds in the latest installment of the rumor mill!
Stream 50+ sports live and on-demand with Kayo. New to Kayo? Try it now for 14 days for free >
FERNANDES’ MAIN ENTRANCE VIA RONALDO
Midfielder Fernandes spoke to Ronaldo after the five-time Champions League winner pulled out of Manchester United’s pre-season tour of Thailand and Australia.
Ronaldo withdrew from the tour for “family reasons” so his Portuguese team-mate called him to make sure everything was fine.
But the 27-year-old has also asked everyone to “respect” Ronaldo at the moment as he admitted he doesn’t know what has been said between the star striker and the club.
“I don’t want to be involved in that, of course we have to respect everyone’s decision,” said Fernandes.
“I don’t know what Cristiano said to the club, the manager, I don’t know what’s on his mind but we have to respect his freedom.
“The only thing I asked Cristiano when he didn’t show up was if everything was ok with the family.
“He told me what was going on, that was it and nothing more.”
soccer website Goal have hinted that once signed, Ronaldo will struggle to secure his desired transfer to a major European club without top teams.
Author Mark Doyle said big European clubs could not afford to sign the five-time Ballon d’Or winners with the season due to start in less than two weeks.
Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag insisted last week that Ronaldo was “not for sale” despite the speculation and rumors surrounding his future.
Ten Hag said that Ronaldo is still in the club’s plans for the upcoming season despite not taking part in their pre-season games.
“We plan Cristiano Ronaldo for the season and that’s it and I’m looking forward to working with him,” said ten Hag on the eve of the clash against Liverpool.
“I read it but what I’m saying is Cristiano is not for sale, he’s in our plans and we want to succeed together.”
ANOTHER CITY STAR JOINS THE GUNNERS
Former Manchester City assistant manager Arteta will officially welcome Ukraine international Oleksandr Zinchenko to the club.
After signing Brazilian striker Gabriel Jesus from City earlier in the transfer window, Zinchenko will be the last to swap sky blue for red and white.
Football insider Fabrizio Romano shared a video on Twitter of the 25-year-old wearing a Gunners training kit.
Romano has said the deal has been signed and the official announcement will be made shortly.
CITY SIGNS PRIORITY DEFENDER
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola will sign defender Marc Cucurella but Brighton want more than $86m to complete the deal.
City believe their asking price is almost $35m too high and The Sun suggests citizens will look elsewhere if clubs cannot compromise.
But in an exclusive share on Wednesday, Fabrizio Romano revealed City will open official talks with Brighton.
Romano has called the defender “Pep’s priority” during this transfer window and they are now ready to continue the deal after selling Zinchenko.
A verbal agreement was reached by the team almost on personal terms, but an official is arriving.