Hello everyone. It’s Dan Casarella, your host of the Philadelphia Daily – back in your inbox with all the hottest things happening in the community today. Let’s dive right in.
First today’s weather:
Pleasant in sunshine. High: 81 Low: 63.
📢 Seeking Business Owners and Marketers in Philadelphia who want to create awareness, connect with customers and increase sales.
I have a limited number of sponsorships available to introduce our Philadelphia Daily readers to local businesses they need to know about. If this is you, then I invite you to find out more and secure your place now.
Here are the top three stories in Philadelphia today:
- Four firefighters and an L&I supervisor were injured and one firefighter killed in a building collapse in North Philadelphia over the weekend. The building collapsed after a fire in Fairhill on Saturday night. died in the collapse. The fire department is investigating the incident. (CBS Philadelphia)
- The Mann Center is screening popular films with live orchestral soundtrack performances this summer! Four popular films will be screened with scores by Philly POPS and the Philadelphia Orchestra. The Movies @ The Mann event starts on July 23rd and runs until September 29th. Ticket prices vary depending on the film. The event begins on July 23 with “Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone” performed live in concert with the Philadelphia Orchestra. (PhillyVoice.com)
- The William Way LGBT Community Center will host a public exhibit and memorial ceremony this Saturday to honor Philadelphians lost to the AIDS crisis. The event will take place when the center completes its ‘remembrance’ project at the end of June. The public memorial, titled “Gone and For Ever,” will be on public display at the Center from Tuesday, June 21 through Saturday, June 25. Created by artist Alex Stadler, the exhibit is intended to commemorate Philadelphians “at risk of being forgotten in history.” (PhillyVoice.com)
Help us to make this newsletter better!
We’ve had so much positive feedback about the Philadelphia Daily that we’re starting to get a big head. Would like bring us back to earth with constructive feedback? Then use our simple – and fast! — Reader survey. Your feedback helps us ensure we cover the kind of local news, events and gossip that you really care about. And it will help us achieve our goal of being a must-have local resource and the last email you’d ever unsubscribe from.
We’d love to hear your feedback so much that we’ll put your email address in a when you take the survey Drawing for a little mountain of patch swag. You know you want this tote bag – so click the link and give it to us directly. Thanks very much!
Take the survey 👉
Today in Philly:
- LGBTQIA+ Pride cookie fundraiser – Night Kitchen Bakery (08:00)
From my notebook:
- Your favorite beer may be hard to find in the Philly area in the coming weeks as the Teamsters Local 830 go on strike for better wages. For more information see the link. (CBS Philadelphia)
- Interstate 95, Interstate 76 and US 1 (Roosevelt Boulevard) are among the state highways on safety and construction measures this week. Check out the full list of Philly closures to plan ahead. (MyChesCo)
- The Free Library of Philadelphia commemorated Yesterday June 16, a time symbolizing freedom, representing the triumph of emancipation and marking a day of reflection. (Philadelphia Free Library via Facebook)
More from our sponsors – thanks for supporting local news!
Appearances & Services:
You’re all caught up for today. See you tomorrow morning with another update in your inbox!
— Dan Casarella
About me: Dan Casarella is a writer, podcast producer and small business development specialist who used to work in late night television. He has produced many talking points, including with President Joe Biden, Kobe Bryant, and Chadwick Boseman. Dan studied media studies and production at Temple University. He also enjoys running, painting, and the ups and downs of Philadelphia’s sports teams.